SET UP AND INITIATE A HIPIMS PROCESS (TIME: 3 DAYS)
Dr. Daniel Lundin, Mr. Petter Larsson
Motivation & Goals
- Evaluation of the client’s new deposition system with special focus on the HiPIMS capability
- Training and guidance on how to set up HiPIMS processes on magnetron systems along with the required diagnostics
- Ignite a first HiPIMS discharge and monitor the voltage-current characteristics when varying applied voltage, discharge power, pulse length, and pulse frequency
- Check and learn how to tune the arc handling (we might have to use reactive gases in order to generate arcs)
- Start and monitor a reactive HiPIMS process (if available and desired by the client)
- Deposit a series of test coatings based on the results from the items above
Ionautics visits the site of the customer to evaluate one or several deposition systems during approximately three days with special focus on the HiPIMS capability. The aim is to jointly start up HiPIMS processes and evaluate how the system performs. We will provide training on how to set up and run metal as well as reactive HiPIMS processes and instruct the operators how to tune the external process parameters, such as how to independently vary the pulse length, shape, peak power, and duty cycle.
Instructions on how to monitor and diagnose the process with the aim to achieve stable operating conditions will also be given.